January 08, 2013

Chickpea, Quinoa and Yam Salad

This salad has been my go-to when packing my lunch for work. I often find making a salad for lunch isn't filling enough, but this one is packed with so many ingredients I'm always satisfied after one bowl. I found the recipe in Whitewater Cooks With Friends, a cookbook I highly recommend.

 Dressing
- 3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Whisk together and set aside.

Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Place quinoa and 3/4 cup cold water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat off, leave lid on, an let stand for 5 minutes. Cool. Toss yams in olive oil, cracked pepper and salt and spread on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast in a 350f oven until just tenter, about 20 minutes. Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss gently until mixed. Approximately three servings.

xo

10 comments:

  1. I love quinoa, so I will have to give this a try! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks DELICIOUS! I haven't really experimented with quinoa before, but I am definitely going to make this salad in the near future! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good!! Filling but good for you and easy to make, you have to try it Kate!

      Delete
  3. I love quinoa salads! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I liked healthy salads. This looks great.
    PS. where are the bowls from? Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy! Will have to try it one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Sarah! Micah here again. Just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I made this dish this weekend, and it was a big hit. So quick and delicious! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe. Just made it last night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is now my go-to salad too! I've been bringing it to a lot of friend's places for dinner and they have all asked for the recipe. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete