May 23, 2013

Machu Picchu


I of course had to save the best for last while sharing our Peru photos. Machu Picchu was with out a doubt the highlight of our trip. Nothing and everything we expected, a life changing experience to say the least.

We took the train from Urubamba to Aguas Calientes, a small yet very busy town at the base of Machu Picchu. Spent the first day exploring Aguas Calientes and enjoying our small tree house hotel, then off to Machu Picchu bright and early the next morning. The weather is hard to predict, and is usually either pouring rain or beating down sun, we lucked out with the sun, but forgot sunscreen (ouch). Although filled with tourists, the views were indescribable and I swear photos do not do the experience justice. After spending several hours exploring we hiked up Wayna Picchu, the large peak behind Machu Picchu, also known as the hike of death. Of course I did not know it went by this name until after safely hiking down the mountain, which was a terrifying experience.

Despite the very painful sunburn I suffered and the near death experience of hiking Wayna Picchu, this was one of the best and most memorable experiences of my life. The one large downside though, is that I seem to have been bitten hard by the travel bug and can think of nothing other than our next trip. I am suddenly more excited about planning our honeymoon than our wedding!

5 comments:

  1. I think my jaw was agape for the entirety of this post
    Absolutely amazing! What a great experience

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely incredible and totally breathtaking photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, beautiful photos. Looks like such an incredible place. I will have to add it to my travel wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! Definitely on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! It is well worth the trip! xo

      Delete